After much stress, many prayers, and 2 1/2 weeks of living homeless in New York City, we have finally moved into our new apartment. It is the top floor of an old Victorian home full of character and charm. We can see the Bay from our windows and watch the sail boats during the day and the sunset across the water in the evening. It is lovely, much more picturesque than our "Bronx" address would lead you to envision. We are loving it. However, poor Bryn is not nearly as entertained by me as she was by the LaBelle children.
Our {now} dear friends, the LaBelles, graciously allowed us to stay with them during our apartment hunt escapade. One month ago we had never met these people; I had only been put in touch with them through a friend in Oxford. I don't know what we would have done without them. We are indebted a lifetime of free babysitting! They have 3 children whom Bryn loved to watch and interact with, especially Levi:
Now, let me briefly expand upon our "apartment hunt escapade": We saw countless hole-in-the-wall places, like seriously HOLE-IN-THE-WALL, with unbelievable price tags. I kept asking Justin, "Is it even ethical to be charging money to live there? The landlord should pay the tenant to live in that place!" One apartment shown to us by a real estate agent had cockroaches in the bathroom. We asked, "Are they going to fumigate the apartment before people move in?" The agent's response, "This is New York City, Honey...get used to it." What?! This is still America, isn't it? Not some third world country?We finally found a place without cockroaches nor mug shots of men wanted for rape taped on the apartment complex doors, so we decided to take it. The landlord refused to rent to us because we have a baby. Wait a minute, discrimination? So we find another place. We sign the lease, are given the keys, and are just waiting for our things to arrive from CA before we move in. Meanwhile, we realize the deadbolt on the door to the apt. is broken. We call the landlord and ask for it to be fixed. Landlord calls real estate agent and tells her he wants us out. He refuses the lease because clearly we are going to be "too much trouble." Is it unreasonable to want to be able to lock the door to your apartment? Especially when you're living in the Bronx?So now we have less than 24 hours before the truck with all of our things arrives, and we have to have a place to put it. Not a moment too soon our current apartment enters our lives like manna from Heaven. Great place, great landlords, lease signed, keys received, moving truck arrives, missionaries unload truck in no time at all, and voila! Here we are.
Other significant events that have gone unblogged thus far: Justin's arrival from Oxford; Bryn's two front (bottom) teeth, Bryn's blessing, and my mom's wedding. Will I blog these events? Only time will tell.
I borrowed Mark's uber nice camera while in CA and had a little photo shoot with Bryn. Here are some pictures for your adoration:
8 comments:
Oh my gosh!! Bryn is the cutest ever!!! I'm so sad I didn't get to see you! And all that apartment crap? That just sucks! I can't believe they thought it was "too much to ask to fix the lock what?" ridiculous!! This made me think of Raising Helen...have you seen that movie? I love it! She's looking for a manhattan apartment and an "affordable" price is 9000 a month! Craziness!
Dear Jill Erin!
Thank you for this wonderful blog. I love the details of your hunt. Your near misses and your manna from heaven. It sounds like a great adventure to remember forever! I'm hoping one day we can take a trip there to visit with you.
The pictures of Bryn are priceless. You have an adorable child.
How blessed you were to have the new found friends who had room in their inn for you. Free babysitting for life sounds like a good price.
Love, Grandma Susan and Richard
Thank you for the update...I had NO idea that's what you were up to!! I hope the new place turns out to be good. My Sister lived in Queens for awhile. She liked the city but also hated the cockroaches!! Your little Bryn is getting SO big. Just as cute as ever!! Good luck unpacking!!
God was just waiting for the right place to become available to you before He led you to it. Thankfully He had already pointed you to the LaBelle's. Your place sounds beautiful and I can imagine an awesome view.
I'm so happy to see pictures of Bryn. She is DARLING! It was so good to talk to you guys the other night. I'm glad everything finally worked out with the apartment. Good luck to Justin with school!
Miles and I are so pleased you are getting settled in to your new home in nYC. I'm just dying over your story about getting a place to live. I can't believe the landlard rejected you just for wanting the dead bolt fixed!!!
You guys have all the fun! I'm glad that you guys are there and safe and without bugs... yuck! Good luck to you guys, I know you will do great!
Ugh! What a nightmare. I'm so glad you guys found a place to live. I love it when things fall into place right when they need to...don't love the stress before the falling-into-place. Good luck in NY! Can't wait to hear about your adventures.
Post a Comment