{Our journey to Africa}
Our internet access has been limited up to this point, but I think we've finally got it up and running. It's insane how disconnected from the world I have felt without it. I've been clueless in regards to world news, I've talked to my mom for less than 30 minutes total in the past 2 weeks (that's crazy for us!), and my step-sister even got engaged and I think I was probably one of the last people to know...all because of lack of internet. It feels good to be reconnected to life outside of our little cottage. Speaking of...
We'll have been here in our cottage for 2 weeks tomorrow! I don't even know where to begin...
The trip here?...
It seems like a distant memory. We were busy packing and getting our apartment in order for our subletter (yes, our subletter came through, so we get to go back to our apartment when we return...SO HAPPY about that!) up until our taxi wouldn't wait any longer. Life was so crazy that the impact of moving to Africa didn't hit until I was sitting at the airport. That's when the stomach butterflies arrived. They were fleeting, I guess I was at a "no turning back now" point, but I was just surprised that getting ready to board the plane was the first time I experienced them. I had them for weeks before going to England. (Maybe that's because I also had a baby fluttering around in my tummy then.) Anyway, we had a short flight to DC and then a 16 hour flight to Jo'burg, with an hour stop in Dakar during which we had to stay on the plane. Bryn quickly won over our fellow passengers as she walked the aisles and said "hi" to each one before take-off.
This happened during take-off from DC:
And continued like this for the 7 hours to Dakar:
It was unbelievably AWESOME! Justin and I enjoyed dinner (the airplane food was surprisingly good) together and then synced our personal T.V.s to the same movie so that we could watch it together. The last thing I expected on our very long journey was a date with my husband. What a pleasant surprise! Bryn woke up during our stop, happy as can be. She re-greeted each passenger and then we enjoyed another meal. After eating, I snuggled up with Bryn and we both slept for another 3 hours or so. After we woke up we only had 3 more hours to go!
That's when we did stuff like this:
I never thought in a million years I'd say it, but it was a really enjoyable trip. What a blessing!
7 comments:
Don't you love it when plane rides work out?! I'm so glad for you! Syncing the movies...brilliant idea. An in-flight date...so great. I'm looking forward to more Africa posts.
Loved, loved, loved hearing about your trip. The pictures are to die for cute. Now that you're connected to www, Skype me. I saw that you tried twice. Maybe email me first so I can be here. Would love to see your little cottage and to hear about things there. I love blogs so we can keep in touch at least. Love, GS
Hallelujah!! What a good little world traveler Bryn is! I hope everything is going well!
:)
What a sweetheart, and what an unbelievably smooth trip! Amazing! SOOO happy things worked out for your apartment!!! What a blessing. Miss you guys!
Wow! You made it! We miss you guys already. Hope you're having a great time :)
I am so glad the trip went well. We are back in NY and Missing you and Bryn. I saw my great and Ferl and Kristen Ogden, they both said to say hi to you. I am so glad your subletts worked out. I can't wait until January!
Post a Comment