4.20.2011

More Learning Time Fun

We have been having so much fun with this month's learning time theme: Plants.

We dyed carnations to help us learn that plants drink water.
(See video at bottom of post for final product results.)
Bryn is using dot paint to dot all of the S's on the Sunflower
Of course dot art is much too fun to stop at just the S's
Working on colors (actually, reviewing colors--she knows them already) using pom-pom balls
Art project
We even tied our snack into the theme
Tracing the letter S
Identifying shapes
A sensory/exploratory activity: I hid a lot of little objects like flower shaped buttons and beads, little wooden flower pots, etc. in the bird seed and let her search for them.
I also gave her a spoon, measuring cup, and funnel and let her go to town. She LOVED this activity. I was thrilled when she was entertained with it for 20 minutes, but she continued to play for nearly an hour. That's next to eternity in two-year-old time. Yes, there was lots of bird seed to sweep up after we were finished, but who cares?! It was super fun!
We ended up having to rearrange the bedroom so we could use the entire wall for our completed alphabet.
We've loved noticing the blossoms that are coming out and the flowers that are blooming around town. If we could convince the sun to join us more regularly we would really be enjoying it. We planted some of our own seeds that we've watched grow in our house as well. We love, love, love Learning Time!
*I must send a huge shout-out to my uber-creative and dedicated friends, Julie and Austyn, who pass along all of their brilliant ideas and all of the ideas they find on the internet (what did moms do pre-internet??). You guys are awesome!*

5 comments:

Susan Rozier said...

POP! POP! POP! (Sound effects of bursting buttons due to pride.) GS

Anonymous said...

What a great mom you are! Very cute ideas for learning time. Bryn is sure to be a smart one. She is lucky to have a mom like you. And she is adorable to boot. :)

The Broderick Family Blog said...

What fun ideas! I am so impressed with all that you do with your little girl. She is going to WOW her future teachers!! I will definitely be stealing ideas when my girl gets that age...:)

Scooter and Jessica said...

I am SO impressed by all of the educational things that you are doing with Bryn! I know that it takes a lot of time and planning. Keep up the amazing work and by the time she goes to school she'll be miles ahead of her classmates!

Tammy said...

I'm super impressed - how fun!