*Warning: Blog venturing into unchartered territory...Politics. Dun, dun, dun.
As you know, last weekend was the big vote on the healthcare bill. We feel strongly against the bill for numerous reasons. My number one reason for being against it is that it blatently violates the power allotted the federal government as per the Constitution. As a believer that the Constitution is an inspired document which stands as the foundational cornerstone of this great country, to disregard it in such a way is appalling. So, we took our strong feelings to Washington over the weekend to let our voices be heard.
The closest thing I've ever done like this in the past is attend a city council meeting when they were cutting the school sports budget while I was in high school. Standing in front of the Capitol Building with tens of thousands of other people was exciting, exhilirating, empowering...and I had had enough after about an hour and a half. Luckily it was a beautiful day and if you've ever been to the National Mall on a beautiful day you know that being there is as enjoyable as having the lead in the bracket competition with your husband (Oh yeah!).
We strolled the Mall and took in some sites, and then Justin was ready for more on the hill. I, however, was content to bask in the sunshine in a more peaceful area while Bryn cuddled close for a little nap. It was wonderful. Later that night we took Bryn swimming in the hotel pool. She LOVED it! Smiles, squeals, and giggles galore.
The next day we headed to Arlington Cemetery since we didn't make it there on our last trip to DC. We saw President JFK's grave accompanied by the Eternal Flame and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, along with the thousands of tombstones of other men and women who have fought for freedom. A very humbling experience. After Arlington we headed home. It was a quick, fun, memorable trip.
Bryn was 2 weeks and a 1/2 lb. shy of meeting the requirements for sitting forward facing in her car seat, but we figured if she was old enough to protest at our nation's capitol she was old enough to sit forward facing. (Please ignore the hypocrisy of us breaking the law on our way to protest Washington breaking the law.)
Isn't she adorable reading her book? Oh, I just love it.
Some protestors found clever ways to express their feelings.
Spring is here!
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
4 comments:
Hannah is already 13 and a half months and still not 20 pounds (I think she's at 18 now)but I'm really wanting to face her forwards!
Ha! City Council Meeting. Funny. The question is will this protest land you in the paper like your last experience? Heather and I are so excited to come see you. Hope it works out that you're there when we come!
I wish you guys lived closer. Like down the street:) I could watch your baby whenever you needed and I'd have a gf to talk to. But such is life and I'll just have to continue making friends with the oldies in my branch;) Anyhow, your baby is a doll!
I didn't know that's why you went! Very cool. I've never done anything like that. DC looks beautiful. I will get there someday!
Post a Comment