2.27.2009

Switzerland

This past weekend I took a short trip to Switzerland, one of the top three places in the world I want(ed) to see: 1. Fiji 2. Africa (check) 3. Switzerland (check). Don't ask me why these are my top three, although it is probably because I was looking through a "places of the world" calendar ten years ago and thought the pictures looked nice.

Anyway, it was an ideal time to go because it was the last weekend my friend Ken would be living in Geneva before he and Rachelle flew back to California.  Jumping on the opportunity (and a plane) I took off to see what being 'neutral' was all about.  Yes I left Jill behind and yes she was 35 weeks pregnant but there were still 5 weeks to go; we had plenty of time, plenty of time.  Don't judge me.

Ken and Rachelle were great tour guides.  We rented a car and drove out to Montreux (Mon-troe) which is a really nice city at the other end of Lake Leman (the largest of the alpine lakes).  The whole region was beautiful with acres and acres of vineyards, but in Montreux the mountains come right down to the lake. 
Another important fact about Montreux is that it was the home of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen, my favorite band! Here is a statue and plaque commemorating his life's contribution to awesomeness.

Our next stop was Gruyeres (Gree-air).  This place is famous for Gruyeres Cheese (Which I had never heard of until we got there).  It also had a really cool Medieval Castle overlooking a valley in the Mountains.

Finally, we went to Bern where the LDS Temple is.  It was the first Temple built outside of North America. 

The last day of my trip I went to the UN and Red Cross Headquarters.  Both were pretty good although I must admit that I am not a fan of the UN overall.  Thanks Ken and Rachelle for letting me sleep on your couch and to Jill, thanks for not having a baby while I was gone (I love you babe). -Justin 

0 comments: