We rented a car for the weekend. It was so fun! I felt like I was 16 all over again, experiencing the sweet freedom that comes with a set of wheels. We all took turns driving, some creating more nerve-racking experiences than others. It was the first time any of us have driven in a couple of months. Combine that with driving on the opposite side of the road, on the opposite side of the car, using a gear shift with the opposite hand, insane round-a-bouts everywhere, and a bunch of road signs that we couldn't figure out the meanings of and you'll know why we're so thrilled to have not caused any damage to the car, ourselves, or others. Woo-hoo!
11.24.2008
Liberation
Our Ride
The "passenger-side" steering wheel
Justin's first experience behind the wheel
Cody behind the wheel
Justin while Cody was behind the wheel
We drove up to Stratford-upon-Avon on Saturday morning. This is Shakespeare's town, for those of you who might not know. They have preserved the look of many of the buildings so they still have that Shakespearian feel.
In front of the house where Shakespeare was born
Shakespearian style unites with the 21st century
Eating lunch
Anne Hathaway's Cottage (the wife of W. Shakespeare, not the actress)
We want to go back in the spring when the gardens will be in bloom!
We then went down to Reading to do some shopping, maternity shopping to be specific. What we found in the way of maternity clothes was largely disappointing, but the trip was not a failure because I came away with a fruit basket that I love. (Our accommodations have helped us to learn how to live with only bare essentials, so when an accessory such as a fruit basket comes along, above average feelings of excitement and happiness come along with it!)
We were so blessed to have the car on Sunday. The walk to the bus stop for church would have included much wind, rain, and cold, but instead we enjoyed the luxury of just hoping in the car! For those of you who enjoy this luxury every week, remember to be grateful for it (it might be a good one to mention when you go around the table expressing your thanks on Thursday). After church we went to C.S. Lewis' house. There is a forest surrounding a big pond directly behind his house which is the scenery that inspired Narnia. Did 'ja know he even had 4 children come stay at his house during the war, just like in the books?
"Narnia"
We want to come back here again in the spring too
Growing like crazy these days!
We had to turn the car in this morning, but not before taking advantage of it one more time. We got up extra early and went on a BIG grocery shopping spree. I normally have to go to the store every other day because I can only buy as much as I can carry home. With the car we were able to stock up on stuff that is a bit heavier to carry (canned foods, potatoes, laundry detergent, etc.). Our kitchen is the most stocked it's been since moving here. Once again, be grateful if you get to drive to a grocery store whenever you want!
We had such a great time with the car and the rental price was pretty affordable, so it's definitely something we see ourselves doing again in the future.
Posted by Jill at 3:32 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
what a fun trip. I didn't have a car most of my college career so I know exactly what you mean!!! It is so liberating to finally have the ability to "drop everything and go."
Wow - I would have caused some major damage. How fun to see all those fun places.
Hey when I come in May, I'll rent a car and we can go see those places in bloom...sound good?!
Post a Comment