Our first stop in Washington was the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. There is SO much stuff in there! We saw some of the materials that were used on the Wright brothers original airplane to space ships that have been to the moon!
A couple weeks before our trip we saw Wally Herger (a California Congressman) at church. We told him we'd be in Washington and he gave us a business card with his office phone number on it and told us to give him a call when we were in town. Well, we did and he hooked us up with a personal tour of the Capitol building. We got to see the same stuff that a regular tour would see, but instead of being in a group of 30-40 people, it was just us! Justin's favorite part was sitting in on a session where the House of Reps were discussing the economic situation and the bill they developed (which at that point had not yet been passed). It was really interesting (more so than watching it on C-Span). Representative Herger also invited us into his office and we got to sit and chat with him for awhile. It was very cool, and nice of him to take time to do that with us.
The weather was a little gloomy, but (1) It prepared us for England; and (2) We decided that we preferred it that way over it being hot with all the walking that takes place to get from monument to monument. There's a ton!
The Washington D.C. temple is exquisite. We were also surprised by how big it is! We haven't been inside a big temple in a long time. I was able to talk to some missionaries from the area who gave me directions to the closest stake center to our hotel so I could watch the R.S. broadcast. It was very good. However, in one of the talks an experience was recounted of living far from their mother for a time. It got my tears flowing, which didn't stop for nearly the rest of the night. Justin was a little late picking me up and when he saw my tear-stricken face he thought I was upset with his tardiness. He felt terrible. Unfortunately when I tried to explain why I was crying it just made me cry more. Poor guy had to live with the guilt of driving his wife to tears until I was able to clarify a couple hours later. I share this to simply reveal that while our trip was great and our move has gone smoothly, I'm not a robot. It is terribly hard adjusting to being so far from family and dear friends. Justin has been amazingly patient and comforting. I couldn't ask for a better husband.
One of the unpictured highlights of our trip was The Office season premiere. Oh, how we love that show. We've discovered that in order to watch it over here we'll have to buy each episode from iTunes. It's worth whatever it takes.
I'm probably forgetting a million things from this leg of our trip, but this posting is already long enough, so oh well.
10.07.2008
Washington D.C.
Posted by Jill at 3:51 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Hi Jill Erin! I'm absolutely loving these blogs. It's good to know you miss your mother. Eileen saw your mom at the RS broadcast and Stacy mentioned you'd left for England. Eileen made a comment that she must be sad for you to go and Stacy said she sobbed for 2 straight days. Eileen commented that now she was living there all alone and Stacy told her about Casey and Jonathan being at home. She said that was partly why she was sobbing. Haha.
Woooow, Jill, that does sound amazing.
I'm jealous. I've so many friends who've travelled (sp?) that I'm starting to get the bug. I want to see Cornwall.
At this point, I'd settle for Texas, haha
Eric would totally agree with you, too, on The Office thing. Whatever it takes! You've good taste, chica.
Again, congrats on the baby and the anni. Thanks for letting us know about your blog! yay!
Best of luck to you and yours in England, sweetie. :)
Yea! I'm so glad to hear about your travels. I was wondering the other day if you'd be blogging about them already, and you are! How fun for you guys. I can't wait to hear all about England and more about your growing .5 oz. :)
Post a Comment